The primary goals for the development of the Sustainable Urban Mobility Plan (SUMP) in the municipality of Edessa were:
- Equal treatment as much as possible of all groups of citizens and travelers.
- Improvement of road safety and the sense of security.
- Provision and optimization of alternative modes of transportation.
- Improvement of the level of service for citizen mobility, through the improvement of transport infrastructure, the strengthening of mass transportation, as well as the promotion of soft mobility options.
- Improvement of the connectivity of the municipality with neighboring areas with all modes of transportation.
- Ensuring smooth supply of commercial use for economic development.
- Reduction of negative impacts of transportation on the health of citizens and the environment.
- Increase of the attractiveness of the area as a place to live and work.
- Increase of the visitation of the area, resulting in the stimulation of the local market.
- Integration of special interventions and the servicing of special needs.
The Sustainable Urban Mobility Plan of the Municipality of Edessa was developed in 4 stages, which were as follows:
- Stage 1: Preparation – Analysis of the Existing Situation
- Stage 2: Setting Objectives – Formulation of Action Scenarios
- Stage 3: Review and Evaluation of Scenarios – Impact Assessment
- Stage 4: Development of Implementation Plan
The proposed interventions of the optimal scenario were categorized by time horizon into 5-year Time Horizon Interventions and 10-year Time Horizon Interventions.
Finally, the proposed interventions that were suggested concern:
- Ensuring accessibility to the entire road network of the study area.
- Formation of school rings.
- Strengthening road safety at sensitive points of the study area.
- Interventions aimed at improving traffic conditions.
- Development of an information/sensitization campaign for commuters.